As Summer changes to Autumn here in the Southern Hemisphere, it is time to put away the old season and welcome the new season. Here is my Five Point Summer to Autumn Wardrobe Changeover Checklist for doing that.
If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, swap the season names around.
Autumn Wardrobe Changeover:
(1) Find New Combinations to Extend your Wardrobe Options –
- First of all, try on anything new that you bought during the Summer with your current Autumn or Winter tops, pants, skirts, jeans, dresses and jackets.
- Also, try on any new shoes you bought during the Summer with your current Autumn or Winter wardrobe.
- Then try on any new jewellery, scarves, belts and handbags you bought with your current Autumn or Winter wardrobe.
(2) Be Change of Season Prepared –
- Check your Autumn and Winter clothes and shoes to find what needs repairing, adjusting, altering or washing so that you are ready for the change of season weather.
(3) Time to Re-organise and De-clutter your Summer Clothes –
- What can you move to get a little more wear out of favourite clothes – from professional wear to casual wear (coffee with family and friends or grocery shopping) or even down to inside-your-home-only wear?
- What needs to be de-cluttered and sent to charity or binned?
- Do not dump these clothes on family or friends. (Say something like ‘I am not sure if this is your style and you like it? if they are not, I am happy for you to tell me and I will take them to ….. Charity.’ Be gracious if they do not take up your Offer.)
(4) Choose to Become a Discerning Clothes Shopper –
- Buy ONLY one new item that will go with lots of other clothes in your wardrobe whether it’s a new pair of pants, shoes, jewellery, scarf or handbag. A versatile item will give you lots of new combinations that will lift your spirits. Plus it saves you money.
- Remember that other people have had a year to forget what you wore last Autumn and Winter. Everyone else is worrying more about themselves than about your clothing. If your clothes have a touch of difference and look good on you, they can be worn another year without you having to rush out and buy lots of new items.
- Now is the time to check out Outlet Centres and End-of-Season Retail Sales for a few discerning buys for next Summer at a good price. Buy quality.
(5) Dress to be the Best Version of You –
- Do an audit to check that your clothes please you ONLY – NOT your partner, your husband, your mother, your daughter, your friend or your past. Your wardrobe needs to reflect who you really are and where you imagine you will be in your future.
There you have it – the Autumn Wardrobe Changeover Checklist. In addition I recommend that you do a similar audit at every change of season. Substitute the seasons as required.
Pro-active women have goals. Your clothes are a tool that visually express those goals.
Last Question – Do your clothes lift you up or weigh you down?
Click the graphic to get one of my simple de-cluttering techniques.