Wearing the perfect bra size makes all the difference to how your clothes look on you.
When your clothes look good on you, you stand a little taller and you feel more confident.
You also look better proportioned, feel more comfortable all day. Your posture improves and interestingly, you can feel slimmer.
That’s the good news for stylish baby boomers.
Your Perfect Bra Size – Problems
With research showing that 80% of women wear the wrong bra size, it’s strange that I have read nothing of why we women do this.
As with all the other clothes we wear, our emotions play a big part in why we choose what we do. Without asking other women, let me share with you some of the emotional excuses I have used over the years to choose the wrong size bra. See if you can relate to them.
- There’s a size you feel should be your perfect bra size and you are not been willing to wear a bigger size
- A bad experience with a bra fitter
- Your partner or someone close to you brings in the washing and comments unfavourably on the size of your new bra
- You go sale shopping with a smaller busted friend and feel embarrassed about what size you are looking for
- You look at a bigger size and it looks like a ‘granny bra’ (so you buy a bra extender piece to add to a smaller size)
- You are planning or there’s a possibility of sex and no way are you wearing a bigger bra (we don’t tell researchers this one)
- Cost – you feel that nice bra styles that look great on your aging or expanding breasts are expensive; so you stick to the cheaper, ill-fitting ones
You probably can add more to the list.
Your Perfect Bra Size – Emotional Home Truths
Your Emotions are not You. They are a guide to how you are feeling at this moment. They are there to tell you that there is something you need to deal with to grow and feel at peace with yourself. And that something is either Grief or Self-Love.
I have no magic bullet for this. You may find my ‘Grief, Gratitude & Acceptance’© Exercise of help to you. Re-read it or download it here from Mailchimp. If the problem is someone else’s comment, you may need to find some Assertive Sentences that demonstrates your self-love. Then practise and use them.
Your Perfect Bra Size – How to Find It
Your goal is for your breasts to be supported with no double breast at the top or bulging bits at the side.
The above chart is a general chart for Australian sizes. Websites that sell bras hopefully give the Underbust and Overbust sizing so that you can purchase the perfect bra size for you. Check because women’s sizing is never consistent. You need to know both your Underbust and Overbust size.
Measure either naked or wearing an unlined or very lightly lined bra.
Underbust –This is a horizontal line around your body under your bust where your bra sits. Turn sideways so that you are measuring a perfect horizontal line. Overbust – This is a horizontal line around the fullest part of your bust. Then check your measurements against the chart above for your perfect size bra.
None of us have two breasts exactly the same size. If you have had breast surgery like me and have one breast significantly different from the other, you will need to adjust your cup size for your larger breast. It is up to you whether you balance them with a bra filler or not.
Life is about embracing each stage you go through. All stages have their pleasures and pains. Your breasts are an important part of you. I took mine for granted until my first DCIS operation. Now I have more love and care for Annie and Mitzi (given their names in 2009). Give your girls the best support you can.
Increase your dressing knowledge with this FREE download. Click the graphic below to get your Really Simple Image Tip.