Stylish Baby Boomers recognise that ongoing wardrobe maintenance (or closet maintenance) is your key to dressing to feel modern, confident and content. And isn’t that what we Baby Boomers all want!
These 10 tips below help you prevent clutter build-up in your main wardrobe and in all your other hidden places.
They work if your goal is to have a wardrobe full only of those clothes and accessories that fit you perfectly now and that you love to wear often.
They are from my online de-cluttering program ‘Wardrobe Full, Nothing to Wear’.
1. Each time you buy a new item, get rid of one old one ie REPLACE not ADD.
2. Become a student of yourself – your colouring, your body, your personality, your lifestyle, your ambitions and your goals.
3. When anything changes in your life, de-clutter, revitalise and modernise your wardrobe.
4. FIX clothes and accessories within one week of the problem arising.
5. ALTER new clothes within one week of buying them if they do not fit you perfectly.
6. De-clutter at the end of each season.
7. Think TWICE before you buy.
- Would hiring be a better option?
- Can I wear this with at least two (preferably three) other items of clothing?
8. Be aware of your emotional patterns to manage and limit their effect.
9. Remember that you are human. All of this could fall in a heap at any time. Fashion Disasters, Unwise Choices and Giving In to Other People’s Choices will happen.
10. LAUGH at yourself. Then re-commit and re-focus on what you have to do.
The secret to all these tips on wardrobe maintenance is to ONLY buy, wear and keep clothes and accessories that YOU love TODAY.